BOOK A REMOVAL FIRM
At the start of theÂ removal checklist is to get a removal firm.Â Try and get a firm recommended from a friend or relative. The British Association of Removers will provide names of reputable companies to help your removal checklist. Get a written quote and check carefully what is included in the total cost. What do their terms and conditions say? Are there any likely extras? Is there an extra charge for Insurance cover? When you have chosen a suitable remover, write to them and get them to confirm the arrangements. Ring them a few days beforehand to check that everything is all right.
SORT OUT THE UTILITY SERVICES
The second thing to do on theÂ removal checklist is to book an electrician, plumber, or carpet fitter. These can help remove the cooker and washing machine and reconnect them into your new home. Notify the gas and electricity and telephone companies of the date of your move and ask them to read the meters and connect you up in your new home.
REDIRECT YOUR MAIL
Thirdly on theÂ removal checklist get the appropriate forms from the Post Office to arrange the redirection of your mail, ideally for 12 months.
NOTIFYING PEOPLE OF YOUR CHANGE OF ADDRESS
Within theÂ removal checklist you will need to write to various places and advise them of your change of address. These could include the following:
- Local Council
- Phone Company
- Electricity Company
- Gas Company
- Department of Social Security
- Insurance Companies
- Credit Card Companies
- Driver Vehicle Licensing Centre
- Premium Bonds Centre
- National Savings Office
- Loan Companies
THINGS TO DO ONE WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
To ensure your move runs smoothly, add the following items to do on yourÂ removal checklist;
- Organise a mass sort out of your belongings
- Pack the less essential items
- Organise your packing and labelling system
- Check the removal arrangements
- Check arrangements for disposal and collection of keys
- Remove contents from freezer
- Cancel milk, papers, and outstanding bills
- Have a good clean around the home your leaving.
THINGS TO DO ON THE DAY OF THE MOVE
This is the last part of theÂ removal checklist.
- Get up early!
- Organise a survival kit (Money, Drinks, Meals, Soap, Towels etc)
- Get everything packed up ready for the removers
- Show removers around the house
- Remove everything from home!
- Final check around home
- Collect and Dispose of keys
- Leave the property secure
- Get everything into your new home
- Have a rest!