DO I NEED PLANNING PERMISSION? The easy and the best answer is to ask the planning officer at your local council! At the most basic level major works require planning permission but many minor works do not. The rules are very complicated. We can only give basic information and guidelines about planning permission. You will need planning permission for the following areas on this page.

DO I NEED PLANNING PERMISSION FOR HOUSE EXTENSIONS OR ADDITIONS? Including conservatories, sun lounges, loft conversions, dormer windows and roof additions will need planning permission.

DO I NEED PLANNING PERMISSION IF I ERECT BUILDINGS AND OTHER STRUCTURES ON MY LAND? On land around your home such as garages, garden sheds, greenhouses, and swimming pools you will require planning permission.

WHAT ABOUT PLANNING PERMISSION FOR FENCES WALLS AND GATES? If the house is a listed building or the fence wall or gate is over 1 metre high if next to a highway or 2 metres elsewhere you will need planning permission.

ARE THERE ANY RESTRICTIONS FOR PATIOS HARD STANDINGS PATHS AND DRIVEWAYS? No planning permission restrictions on the area to cover with hard surface. However restrictions apply if the surface is to be used for commercial or business purposes.

WHAT ABOUT SATELLITE DISHES AND AERIALS? Normally no restrictions for aerials if for domestic use. However planning permission is usually needed for a satellite dish.

ARE THERE ANY RESTRICTIONS FOR PROPERTY DECORATION REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE? Usually no planning permission restrictions unless for such things as major repairs or pebble dashing, shutters and security grilles.

DO I NEED PLANNING PERMISSION TO DEMOLISH A BUILDING? Any demolition if the size is over 50 cubic metres will require planning permission.

ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL RULES FOR FLATS AND MAISONETTES? Special planning permission rules exist for flats and maisonettes. Any planned work should be referred to the planning authority for approval.

WHAT ARE THE EXACT PLANNING PERMISSION REQUIREMENTS? It is best to approach the planning authority direct for this type of planning permission information. The requirements for each planning area are very complicated and precise. If you require specific help and advice about planning permission please use our services below.

WHAT ARE PERMITTED DEVELOPMENT RIGHTS? You can make minor changes to your home without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called Permitted Development Rights. In parts of the country permitted development rights are more restricted. Sometimes planning authorities remove some permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 Direction.

ARTICLE 4 DIRECTIONS These are made when the character of an area would be threatened, usually in conservation areas.

DO I NEED PLANNING PERMISSION FOR LISTED BUILDINGS? If you live in a listed building you will require planning permission for any significant works whether internal or external.

DO I HAVE TO NOTIFY MY NEIGHBOURS? Let your neighbours know about your planning permission proposals and try and seek some general agreement to what you are proposing to do. Be wary of any planning permission works that might infringe onto your neighbours property or even on their right of light. You will of course need your neighbour’s permission if you need to go onto their property to carry out any of the work.

WHAT ARE PROPERTY COVENANTS AND DO I NEED TO COMPLY WITH THEM? Covenants are restrictions in your title deeds that sometimes prevent you from carrying out certain works to your property even if planning permission is acquired. You may need to obtain someone else’s permission to release you from the terms of the covenant before you carry out any of the proposed works.

ALWAYS GET PLANNING PERMISSION FIRST It is essential that you get the formal written planning permission before you carry out any works. Bear in mind that the local planning authority does have the right to force you put things right and/or to remove an unauthorised works or buildings.

HOW TO APPLY FOR PLANNING PERMISSION Contact your local planning department. They will have information packs and forms that will explain what needs to be done to obtain planning permission. You will probably require drawings and full details of the proposed works. The planning officer will help but you may require professional help from local surveyors builders or architects.

Once your planning permission application has been submitted it will be placed onto a Planning Register so that the public can inspect it. Neighbours will be notified of the planning permission application and the planning permission application may be advertised in the local newspaper. The matter will then be referred to councillors to decide your application. The planning permission application will be granted, refused or granted subject to conditions. The matter should be decided upon within 8 weeks.

WHAT IF I’M REFUSED PLANNING PERMISSION? A planning permission application cannot be rejected just because some people may object to it. The planning permission proposal must be consistent with the development plan in the area. Potential traffic problems, the effect on the amenity, and the impact on the surrounding area are all important matters.

If you are not happy with any aspect of the planning permission decision, you can appeal to the Secretary of state for the Environment. There are various booklets and leaflets that can be obtained to help you with information about planning permission. Planning permission appeals can take several months to decide. You can also apply to the local Government Ombudsman if you are unhappy with the way the local authority has handled your planning permission matter.